The school was opened in 1879 at the Wesleyan school chapel adjoining the Girls' Boarding School, Katukele - Kandy, under the management of Mrs Langdon.
Miss Payne, the next principal arrived in Colombo on 31 July 1879 but left the school in 1880.
There were no games, Guiding, debating or netball, not even a library.
Since its inception the school has represented the ethnic diversity of Sri Lanka, with its student body consisting of Sinhalese, Tamils, Moors, Malays, Burghers and Chinese.
Girls' High School is a public girls' School located in Kandy, Sri Lanka. Honouring the relationship with the environment to become disciplined responsible mature women who will be able to serve with humanity with but fear or favour be open to changes and to stand up to challenges be able to hold on to their belief while respecting the convictions of others.
In 1873, the need of a school in connection with Wesleyan Mission work was urged by Samuel Langdon and so a Day and Boarding school was built in Katukele, Kandy Sri Lanka.
From 1997 the society has arranged some activities, workshops, etc. Year 2006 was a very crucial year for the Astronomical Society of Girls' High School.
Because the society organized a combined project to develop inter-school Astronomy (CPDIA) together with Ranabima Royal College, Kandy.
The main aim of Girls' High school is to produce professional and academics who can serve the country, mother Sri Lanka as leading personalities in the society.
Since its official launch in 1997, The Astronomical Society has successfully contributed to many events, and has rendered many great endeavors not only to the School, but also to the whole nation, making the field of Astronomy more & more popular in Sri Lanka. Through this camp the students could improve their knowledge in Astronomy and develop their observation skills .
Thus from its inception Girls' High School, The Astronomical society has become one of the few leading Astronomical societies in Sri Lanka. Because the society organized a night camp called "Astro Eve 2001" for the first time in a Girls' school in Sri Lanka, with all island participation. In 2003 participated in the High School walk organized by the S. Also in 2005 the society conducted a successful stall in the educational exhibition " Elysium 2005" which was organized by the school.
In 1917 the first company of Girl Guides was formed on the island, and the school was the first to play netball in Sri Lanka.
The four houses are Eaton, Langdon, Lawrance, and Sansom.
In May 1880 Miss Hay came from England and the school, which had 10 on the roll at its inception, increased to 70 and was registered to obtain a grant-in-aid from the government.